Saturday, March 14, 2009

Art Fundraiser, round two

Speaking of hurting my children's feelings, if you read my earlier posts, you know I was concerned about this assinine Art Fair the kids' school is holding, the one where you can purchase your own kids' artwork back for $30. Well, I wrote the principal with my concerns and he eventually wrote me back. The art teacher had answered most of my questions, but she still thinks it's a wonderful program, and she doesn't consider it a fundraiser. How she gets that, I don't know. If you sell something and the school gets part of the proceeds, then it's a freaking fundraiser, but anyway...

So yesterday, we get a reminder on the event, and now I'm even madder. Whereas on the first form we got, you could RSVP to attend (and that's all the form said, "RSVP if you plan to attend"), on this reminder form, there is some additional information on the back. Most notably, if you RSVP, then you agree to purchase the artwork. Really? And you tell me that after I send in the RSVP? So now if you don't agree to purchase the artwork in advance, you must basically send the art teacher a note saying to take back your RSVP. And if you aren't going to purchase your child's artwork, you are more than welcome to attend the event and see all the other kids' work hanging nicely on the walls, but you will find your kid's work stuck in a folder somewhere, not on display. Don't you know there isn't enough space to display everyone's work?

This is the biggest load of hogwash I've ever heard. They really don't believe it's a fundraiser? They really expect us to believe that there isn't enough wall space in the whole school on which to display everyone's work? WTH!!! How stupid do these people think we are?

I wrote the principal back with all of the above, again, stated in a much nicer fashion. But come on! I basically told him I'd have to rescind my RSVP because I didn't plan to agree to purchase anything without seeing it first (my son is basically telling me that his is bad and not worth the money). And I wasn't going to attend so that my kids could see some people's artwork on the wall and theirs not on display. What kind of sicko disappointment of an evening would that be? I ended my email with how I want to be as supportive of my children's school as possible, but I also expect the school to be supportive of my children, and this is not happening in this case.

What I didn't say, and I hope he reads between the lines, is that this is a public school. This is not the place to be having an event merely for the kids from a higher socioeconomic status. If the rich kids (or rich mommies) want to have a rich kids art fair, then they can join or create a private club for that. A public school is supposed to be supportive of all children. (Maybe the rich mommies will figure that out when their hubbies lose their jobs too, or when the hubbies trade them in for a younger model. I know...that was catty...sorry.)

Ugggh! I am so ready for the new school to open. Unfortunately, I think most of the rich kids are headed there too. I keep hearing wonderful things about the principal of the new school, though. I hope he has enough sense to veto crap like this. Coming from a very much disadvantaged school right now, surely he has some sense!

No comments: