Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hurting my kids' feelings

I think anyone with children can relate to this, or heck, anyone with a heart can probably relate. Something happened tonight which really hurt my daughter's feelings. I won't go into elaborate details, but basically some very immature grown up made a stupid power play that affects her and a lot of other girls. Really what they've done is pull the rug out from under her. I know that sounds cryptic, but I can't give too many details, and the details aren't the point of this posting anyway.

The point of the post is how upset I am that someone has acted so callously in regards to my child. She took the news as to be expected, pretty disappointed, but I think I took it worse. The fact that I had to be the one to pass this along nearly made me cry. I can handle a lot of stress, and I do it pretty well, but my children can always make me cry. I guess I'm supposed to be like that as a mom.

Usually my kids make fun of my "sensitive" nature. My son went through a Christmas movie phase where we watched Frosty the Snowman hundreds of times when he was around 2 or 3. He never really noticed that I cry every time Frosty melts until my mom mentioned that I used to always cry. Then I had to admit that I still cry every time, and that's all it took to become the family joke. "Hey mom, Frosty's getting ready to melt; are you gonna cry this time, too?" Last month my generally undisciplined son had a great streak at school. His assistant teacher wrote him a special note about how wonderful he had been. I cried as I read it, so then when he handed me his folder to sign, he said, "Are you gonna cry all over that, too?" And yes, I did.

So today was difficult. I would do anything to spare my child this disappointment, and I really hate that there is nothing I can do about this. This is almost as frustrating as B's last year of preschool, when there was a revolving door of teachers; he had 6 teachers in that one year. When he'd get close to one and then she would leave, I never knew what to do, and I felt trapped in the situation. Well, I'm trapped once again in a situation that's less than ideal for my child, and I really just want to cry. I won't, but considering punching someone isn't really legal either, I don't know what to do.

No comments: