Sunday, January 24, 2010

Progress, or lack thereof...

Well, here's the progress (or lack thereof) so far on my running goal:

Friday--Had a sinus headache, came home and lay down for a while. Woke up headache free but just in time to go help my niece with some cleaning of her new house before she moved.

Saturday--Lazy as heck. Did nothing, and I mean nothing, all day except drive to get gas in the car. Uggh. I did resist the temptation to grab a burger on the way home. Yay me.

Sunday--Still pretty lazy. Most of the day consisted of church, grocery store, facebook, and football. I do realize, however, that I will not make any progress on my goal if I never start, so at about 10:20, I got my lazy butt downstairs to set up the treadmill. Yep, set up the treadmill. We've been in the house for over a year, and it hasn't even been plugged in. So, I moved it across the basement, plugged it in, wiped about 2 years of dust off of it, and gingerly started it up. Then I let it proceed to kick my butt for about 45 minutes.

Luckily, everything seems to work just fine on the treadmill except one little annoying part of one digit on the display. So when I burn 100 calories, half the 1 doesn't show. Likewise, luckily, everything on me seems to work okay as well, all except those lungs. So when I burn 100 calories, I'm coughing as my lungs beg for an inhaler (which, of course, I don't think to take with me downstairs).

All in all I think I did pretty well. My sensible plan was to just walk for a week or so and slowly get into jogging. The idiotic reality was that I walked for a quarter mile or so and decided to see how far I could jog right away. I'm pleased that I didn't have a heart attack (yet), and I was able to jog a couple minutes at a time. If I can stick with it, say 3-4 times a week, I have no doubt I'll be jogging a 5K by September.

Okay, now, off to take some preemptive ibuprofen and go to bed.

No comments: