Thursday, January 21, 2010

Losing Weight....

...that's what's on my mind. I've been trying to get remotivated in the last few months, ever since the state decided that overweight people need to be punished and pay more for their health insurance. I'm pretty heavy for my frame, so in order to meet their requirements, I need to lose about 80 lbs. Now, in the past, before the kids, I had gotten motivated with exercise and decent eating habits and lost about 70+ lbs. That was before going to work at Caldwell. That place is bad for the waistline.

Anyway, 80 lbs. Sheesh. I basically have gained back everything I lost before, plus a couple pounds. Back then, I was a part time instructor, teaching morning and nights, but I had the luxury of several hours free during the day. Hours free with no kids. I would walk at L-R, the Y, around school, even at home. During a three year period, me and the hubby wore out a ski machine and a treadmill...completely wore them out. Then we bought a house...I got a full time job...we had a baby...etc. Excuses, I know.

Honestly, though, I was burnt out on exercising. I had been jogging something like 3-5 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, for about three years, yet I never got to my goal. My runner friends all said I needed to step it up some to burn more calories, but I just didn't see how. I don't want to say I've lost all hope now, but if I was doing so well back then and never got to my goal, I'm not sure how to go about it now.

I do know, however, that I need to do something, not only because of the insurance, but because the hubby has gained back all the weight he lost, and we have one "above average" child and one downright chubby child. I have been trying to focus on veggies more and walking some, more eating at home and less eating out. I've been thinking for more than a year now that I would try the 10,000 steps a day plan, but I'll get there like two days out of a week and then back to my normal of 3500 steps a day. I also need to get back to the treadmill, the replacement one we bought a few years back and haven't used nearly enough. The one downstairs, in the basement, so sad and all alone.

Hubs just turned 40 yesterday; I'll get there later this year, and I'm already taking it badly. I need to set a goal to reach by the time I'm 40. I have several months. What should it be? I could set a weight loss goal, but I've never been good with that. Better I think to set an exercise goal and let the weight loss happen on its own. A 5K? I used to do those often. I never got to my goal pace either, but I did do them, and I could jog the whole thing. I know a lot of skinny people that can't run 3.1 miles. Maybe that's it...doing a 5K again. The Race for the Cure is in October, but that's after the birthday. That's what I'm going to do, I think. Look for a fall race and enter. I've got several months to plan and train to get back into shape enough to run a 5K. That would be great too because I try to encourage my daughter to run, but she doesn't think moms can run. Ha!

Okay, there it is...that's my goal. I'm posting it on the Internet for everyone (although only like 2 people ever read this) to see. A 5K by September. Definitely!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I am trying to get a team from here to do the two day Avon Breast Cancer walk in Charlotte in October. It'll take some training though. What are the chances we could get a bunch from the college?

Unknown said...

I would love to do it, but the fund raising challenge always scares me. Isn't it around $1800 for that one? There's a Komen 3-day in Atlanta in October, but the challenge there is $2300. That much for one person from the college would be quite a task, but to raise that for several people would be a real challenge!

K Liz said...

Do you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone? If you do, there is an awesome app called Couch Potato to 5K. Here is a link about it.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
You may be able to just get it without an iPod Touch, I'm not sure. However, I believe it is 2 months and it will have you running a 5K.