Friday, October 3, 2008

Lately...


Lately, I've been working hard on keeping the house blog updated, so I haven't been spending as much time here. But after the house is done, I really need to think about what I'll do with this blog. I guess it can still remain just a place for my random musings.

Philip suggested that I use it as a way to update my friends on my son's discipline status at school, which has kind of become a running joke (or it would be if it weren't so darn sad). You see, he gets in trouble daily, but instead of the same old talking, talking, talking, he has found all new and creative ways to break the rules. Last month, in addition to talking in line, talking in class, talking in the hallways, etc., he also got in trouble for all of the following reasons: swinging around the poles, not paying attention in class, playing in the bathrooms, climbing the walls in the bathroom (twice), chasing another student around, picking up another student, and peeking into the girls' bathroom. I might have missed one or two, but I think that pretty much covers September. Who knows what October will bring? Today he was in trouble for lying to the teacher about having to go to the bathroom and playing instead.

We have had several meltdowns this week because of the "no TV if you're bad at school" rule. We've had that rule for the last month, but this week Ironman came out, and we bought it. So here it sets, unopened, just waiting for Braxton to have a green day at school to be able to watch it. He knows the deal, but somehow that just doesn't help him control those impulses at school.

All that said, he is generally a good kid...very smart and incredibly funny. Most of what he does is to be funny, and often it is. I think his teacher likes him, too, which is definitely needed to be able to deal with him, but when he's dealing with 23 kindergarteners, I know he has no time for B's general horsing around.

So, in between house postings, I'll keep you updated on B's school behavior. Hopefully, one day I'll have more important things to ramble on and on about! :-)

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Nancy,
When my nephew David was small, he had earned a reputation for misbehaving (in part because he had a sister who could do no wrong. If you didn't believe it, just ask her.) One Christmas, he wouldn't get out of bed because he was afraid (afwaid) he'd get ashes and switches. I think that's when his parents realized they'd been a little hypercritical. Anyway--long story short, he ended up being ten times the student his sister was, a real go-getter. Honestly, he's a real rocket scientist. He's the one I think I mentioned at lunch who left Saturday on a covert mission to Afghanistan (he's a civilian!) Hang in there. Braxton will come around--or he won't and we'll end up teaching him at CCC&TI.